Monday, July 16, 2012

Sweet Cornbread

Sweet Cornbread


Hello! This weekend, my cousins and I took a road trip to Sequoia National Park. We first stopped at Solvang, which is a little Danish town located in Santa Barbara county.
If you have never been to Europe, this town is definitely something you should see! It has the feeling of being in a small town, despite the numerous tourists roaming around. As for the architecture, it's just amazing. Everything is built in traditional Danish style, with different colors all around. It kind of reminded me of far far away land from Shrek. One thing that most people try when they go there are Aebleskivers, which are small pancake balls that are covered in jam and sugar. 
After we went to Sequoia! I'm not much of a tree and nature person, so I wasn't that amazed. They had gigantic trees (width)...but no matter how big the tree is, it's just a tree to me. Sorry! :( 
But it was still fun! I really enjoyed the scenery, I just didn't like the heat! 

So let's talk cornbread! I love cornbread! Especially the ones with corn in them! So that's what I did! I've never made cornbread from scratch before so this was new to me.


Pretty good though if I say so myself. I substituted brown sugar in place of the white sugar, which made a darker hue. Original recipe adapted from here.


Sweet Cornbread:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup corn flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup milk

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
  2. Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment