Friday, August 24, 2012

Matcha Green Tea Macarons with Black Sesame Frosting


How many of you love the fair? Well, I'm nonchalant about it. Haha. Just the whole idea of deep fried food, meat lovers paradise, and crazy heart-attack concoctions makes me uneasy. Yes, I would like to try every single one of them. But NO! I don't want atherosclerosis and I absolutely don't want to pay $20 for a turkey leg wrapped in a 1 pound layer of bacon...but I did buy this blooming onion!


Over-exaggerating much? I think so! Fatty food is good on occasion! I actually LOVE carbs! Haha.

I also love llamas.


Why hello there, kind sir.

So I made for you guys something that you definitely won't find at the fair. This is actually my second attempt at making the famed macarons. Did they turn out okay...well, not exactly what I wanted but they were good enough. They were freaking delicious! Nomnomnom.

The macaron itself is a good recipe...the mistake on my part is that it would not dry at the top at all. I don't know if it's my house or something but I wait longer than an hour for it to barely be even close to drying on top. Something is wrong with me! :/


This is a different recipe from the first one I used, but here you go! Recipe from Sugar Puff Blog.

Green Tea Macarons:

Ingredients:
2/3 cup ground almonds
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
5 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 - 3 tsp matcha powder

Directions:
  1. Sift together powdered sugar and almond, set aside
  2. Beat together egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy, turn the speed to high and gradually add in granulated sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff peak forms and then add in vanilla extract and beat for another 15 seconds.
  3. Dump in all the almond mixture and mix with a spatula
  4. You don’t need to fold the batter super carefully, but you also don’t want to be too aggressive and definitely don’t want to over-mix it
  5. Pipe the batter on the baking pan. They do spread, so make sure you pipe them 1 inch apart from each other. For peaks, moisten your finger with water and press down gently to round them.
  6. Let the macarons dry in the pan at room temperature for about 20 - 45 minutes; depending on the weather. If your kitchen is humid, they might need longer time to dry. They’re ready to go into the oven when they don’t stick when touching.
  7. Preheat your oven to 280F
  8. When the surface of macarons are dry enough to touch, bake in the preheated oven for 15 - 18 minutes, or until macarons are hard enough to touch; they’re not done when it “sinks in.” Another way of checking the doneness of macaron shells is when you peel one off your baking sheet, it does not fall apart; it should come off easily.

Black Sesame Frosting:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
1 cup ground black sesame/black sesame powder
3/4 cup powdered sugar

Directions:
  1. In a bowl, cream together butter, sesame and sugar. Set aside until needed. If using butter, put in the fridge until needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment