Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Garlic and Cilantro Naan

Have any of you gotten your wisdom teeth pulled? I just got all 4 of mines out. They had to put me under sedation/anesthesia because one of my teeth was sitting right on top of my nerve. They even had to go as far as leave a bit of the tooth in there so that my nerve could be protected.


I kinda wanna know what nerve it was. Trigeminal, Facial, or Glossopharyngeal....ahhhh I'm just going to believe it's the facial nerve for now. Haha, curse me for forgetting my basic anatomy! I wonder when I can brush my teeth...


So this naan...I made awhile ago. I would be crazy to make it now since I can't chew a bit! If you don't already know, naan is a type of Indian bread that is normally cooked in a tandoor oven. This is why sometimes you find packages of it labeled tandoori naan! Versions vary drastically and I'm the type of person that likes things plain, so this was a bit of a leap for me.


I would recommend adding more garlic depending on the type of flavor you want. Stronger = more! I added red onions to the recipe because I had some on hand.


Garlic and Cilantro Naan:
Makes around 3 large Naan breads

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp plain yogurt
1 tbsp oil
3/4 cup lukewarm water
1/2 tbsp yeast
1/2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp melted butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Directions:
  1. Proof the yeast: Mix the lukewarm warm, yeast and sugar together until combined in a bowl. Set it aside until it turn frothy.
  2. In another bowl, mix dry ingredients flour and salt together. Add in the yogurt and oil, and then the yeast mixture. Mix until combined. Turn the dough into working table and knead until elastic and smooth.
  3. Cover with plastic wrap and set it aside to proof until double its size.
  4. In the meantime mix the butter, minced garlic, and chopped cilantro together. Set it aside.
  5. Line a baking sheet pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper (I like the latter). Pre-heat oven to 400F. Place your baking sheet in the oven.
  6. Divide the dough to 3 large portions. Roll the dough out to an oval shape. (Instead of rolling I just used my hand.)
  7. Put some olive oil on your pan to prevent sticking if using foil. Put the roll out dough onto the sheet and brush it with the garlic and cilantro mixture. Bake in the oven until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment