Monday, August 6, 2012

Chocolate Mocha Coconut Cake with Coconut and Chocolate Buttercream (Portal Cake)

Portal Cake

How has your summer been? I'm sad because mines' almost over. Just a couple more weeks then I have to start school again! Anyways, I have very good news to share with all of you!

I just got into the nursing program at my university! No more being unsure! No more having to worry about my future! It's literally in my hands now. With that feeling aside, I know I won't be able to bake as much anymore. It's upsetting, but I have to do what I have to do right? Sacrifices must be made! Feelings must be hurt! People must be pushed aside!

Ugh, the reality of it all is truly daunting.

Portal Cake

On a better note, my brother's birthday was just a couple days ago! To celebrate, I made a Portal cake! Apparently this cake is from a game called Portal. I have no clue as to what that is, but now I know that this "companion cube" that I've seen countless of other times is from the same game. I just know that this cake looks amazing. The cake itself is moist and delicious! Truly one of my best works! I also made a cake shaped like a pokeball!

pokeball cake

I made a chocolate mocha coconut cake for the portal cake. The layers in between are coconut buttercream and the outside layer is composed of regular chocolate buttercream. After I put the layer of chocolate buttercream, I used cut chocolate to make the rugged design on the outside. In place of whip cream, I used standard vanilla buttercream on the top of the cake! Maraschino cherries go on top of it.

For the portal cake, you need:
4 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate shaved/broken or chocolate shavings
8 maraschino cherries
Whip cream or white frosting
*Refer to here for assembly.

I think it looks stunning! I give it an A+++! :D Hmm...pictures in natural light always turn out wonderful! Don't you think?! :)

Portal Cake

Original recipe from The Heritage Cook.

Chocolate Mocha Coconut Cake:
For a 2 layer cake (8 in)

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
6 tbsp instant coffee powder or espresso powder
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp sour cream
Extra butter and flour to coat pans

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg and sugar until smooth and no lumps remain. Add milk, butter and vanilla, and mix until combined.
  3. Sift dry ingredients together in another bowl and add to wet mixture. Mix until batter is smooth, and then stir in sour cream.
  4. Coat pans with butter, then sift extra flour on top. Discard any excess flour from the pan. Distribute cake batter into both pans so that they have around the same amount. Bake for around 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Chocolate Buttercream:
Yields around 3 cups - Recipe from Savory Sweet Life

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or 1/2 pound), softened
3 to 3 1/3 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 tablespoons milk
Instructions:
  1. Cream butter for a few minutes in a mixer on medium speed. 
  2. Turn off the mixer. 
  3. Sift 3 cups powdered sugar and cocoa into the mixing bowl. 
  4. Turn your mixer on the lowest speed until the sugar and cocoa are absorbed by the butter. 
  5. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and milk and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add a little more sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time.

Coconut Buttercream:
Yields around 3 cups

Ingredients:
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
3 to 3 1/3 cups powdered sugar or more if needed
Pinch kosher salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 to 2 tsp coconut extract
1 to 3 tbsp of coconut milk or regular milk, or as needed
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

Directions:
  1. Cream butter in the bowl of an electric mixture until completely smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in powdered sugar. Gradually increase mixer speed and add salt, vanilla, and coconut extracts. Beat for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down sides and bottom of the bowl occasionally. Continue to whip for another 4 to 5 minutes, scraping sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
  2. If frosting is too thick, add coconut milk, 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency is reached. If it’s too thin, add powdered sugar gradually until it thickens.
  3. Fold in shredded coconut and mix until just combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment