Sunday, June 10, 2012

Macarons Attempt #1

Image from theroar.com.au
Did anyone watch the Pacquiao vs. Bradley fight yesterday? We had a whole party for it like all other Pacquiao fights. The results were ridiculous considering that Pacquiao was in the lead for basically all of the rounds! It was just so surprising! Especially when Bradley even admitted that he would have to look over the tapes to see if he had really won. Maybe its because of money? Or is boxing just a failed sport? I guess all you can blame is the judges for now!

Also, wasn't this the most awkward pose? If someone accidentally bumped in to one of them, then BAM! Kiss right there! HAHA. Bradley just kept moving closer and closer. Pacman still has that smile, as always!

This day was a little different though. It was also my dad's birthday! His actual birthday is today (June 10). Happy Birthday Dad!!! Also, after the fight, my cousin proposed to his long time girlfriend. It was really sweet! They're so in love, I hope they have a wonderful life together!

Anyways, today I decided to give a try at making macarons! It's actually a macaron, not macaroon! Macaroons are similar because they still use whipped egg whites; they are a meringue-like cookie, sometimes dipped in chocolate. The most known is the coconut macaroon. Now on to macarons! Macarons are what most people think of, they contain egg whites, almond flour, and sugar; they are characterized by their dome shape and their ability to melt in your mouth. Additionally, they are usually filled with a sweet cream, jelly, etc.

Surprising right? Well, the ones I made didn't turn out too well.


I always knew that macarons were difficult to make, but I didn't realize that it would be this difficult! Although they did taste great! I filled them with my own homemade almond butter since I was a bit lazy to make some buttercream. I will try this recipe again for sure! Before the end of summer, I plan on mastering this technique! :D

For anyone wondering, I used Martha Stewart's recipe for these little guys. I made my own almond flour by putting whole almonds in a coffee grinder. I also made my own super fine sugar by doing the same but with powdered sugar. Maybe next time, I'll actually go buy the flour! Maybe it'll turn out different? I hope so!

French Macarons:

Ingredients:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup almond flour
2 large egg whites, room temperature
Pinch of cream of tartar
1/4 cup superfine sugar

Directions:
  1. Pulse confectioners' sugar and almond flour in a food processor until combined. Sift mixture 2 times.
  2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk whites with a mixer on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar, and whisk until soft peaks form. Reduce speed to low, then add superfine sugar. Increase speed to high, and whisk until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes. Sift flour mixture over whites, and fold until mixture is smooth and shiny.
  3. Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain round tip, and pipe 3/4-inch rounds 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets, dragging pastry tip to the side of rounds rather than forming peaks. Tap bottom of each sheet on work surface to release trapped air. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake 1 sheet at a time, rotating halfway through, until macarons are crisp and firm, about 10 minutes. After each batch, increase oven temperature to 375 degrees, heat for 5 minutes, then reduce to 325 degrees.
  4. Let macarons cool on sheets for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. (If macarons stick, spray water underneath parchment on hot sheet. The steam will help release macarons.)
  5. Sandwich 2 same-size macarons with 1 teaspoon filling. Serve immediately, or stack between layers of parchment, wrap in plastic, and freeze for up to 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment