Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Peeta's Raisin and Nut Bread - The Hunger Games

My sleep schedule has been way off lately! This is why I do like having classes during summer. When I have nothing to do, I tend to sleep late catching up on lost TV and movie time. Yesterday, I actually caught up on Love in the Wild and Smash! I love reality shows and shows that pertain to talent and broadway. *Ahem, Glee*! I guess you could say I've been on a late night baker's schedule? I sleep at around 6am and wake up way too late. But there are upsides to it! Like this bread that I made!

When anyone thinks of food from The Hunger Games, it's usually either the Katniss' favorite lamb stew from the Capitol or some kind of bread.  Bread it is! Haha! I'll try to make the lamb stew some time in the future! 
[via]
This bread that I made today was the raisin and nut bread that Peeta burned and tossed at Katniss that eventually saved her life. This act of kindness that Peeta showed towards Katniss gave her the sense of hope and the willingness to continue living and make her life better. 

The version I made of his bread was a bit dense...i'm still thinking about what it was from, possibly the oatmeal I added. Maybe it was because I cheated on the rising time? (*most likely) Ahh, the curses of being an amateur baker; you don't know what you're doing wrong! I used half white flour and half whole wheat flour. I didn't have any raisins on hand so I used dried cranberries and dates instead. Additionally, I added a bit of orange zest for an extra zing. It's not exactly like the book describes it, but I wanted to make something that my whole family would eat! This is definitely a hearty bread! It's full of protein and fiber! It actually tasted great! The dates and cranberries added a lot of sweetness.

The next time I make this, I will try to make it a more slender loaf. I'll also try to let the dough rise a lot longer, maybe 5-8 hours. I've been too impatient lately, but I'll make sacrifices to make good bread!

Peeta's Raisin and Nut Bread

Peeta's Nut and Raisin Bread:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cooked oats
1 cup water
1 tsp white sugar
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup raisins, or dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
  1. Cook oatmeal until done, about 3 minutes.
  2. Proof the yeast: Dissolve sugar in warmed water. Add yeast to mixture. You know your yeast is active if it forms bubbles. 
  3. Mix cooked oats, vegetable oil, honey, salt, dates, raisins, and walnuts into the yeast mixture.
  4. Sift together whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour.
  5. Combine flour and yeast mixture until well incorporated.
  6. Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth.
  7. Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover loosely. Set in a warm place and let rise for around 2 hours.
  8. Punch dough down and divide into 2.
  9. Form long loaves and dust with flour. Place on a dusted cookie sheet. Cover loosely and let rise for another 2 hours. 
  10. Preheat oven to 400F
  11. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until loaves are a nice brown color.
Peeta's Raisin and Nut Bread Slices!



No comments:

Post a Comment