Sunday, June 17, 2012

Kale Hummus

So yesterday was actually the first time I ever dyed my hair! I've been obsessed with this ombre look lately and I wanted to try to do it myself instead of going to a salon to spend the big bucks. Since I didn't want to ruin my hair with chemical hair dye/bleach, I tried henna hair dye. Henna is actually a plant-based product that is used for dying hair, skin, nails, wool, etc. I figured since it was natural, no damage would be done to my hair and I could continuously use it without having to worry about chemicals entering my body. I used this brand from Surya that I bought at Mother's Market. Unfortunately, it didn't work that much for me because I have black hair :(. I can see it a bit, maybe next time i'll try a lighter color.


I also started making one of my best friend's birthday cakes. It's kind of a surprise though, so no one actually knows I'm making one for her. She's turning 21 so I wanted to make something special. I tried to make a Pomeranian... but it did not come out too well. I hope at least it looks like a dog? :/ It's supposed to be sitting on a rug. Oh well, this is my first time making a dog or anything like this. I wish I had pink food color! No tongue! :( 

Anyways, Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there! My family had a small get-together today and as always, there was a lot of food! Some dishes included grilled fish, grilled chicken, steak, hummus pizza, and some other Filipino dishes. 

Speaking about hummus pizza...I made it myself, with homemade hummus! :D I made it with a bit of kale because kale is good for you! Haha...there was actually no reason except for that I had a lot of kale. The market I bought it at had it on sale for 2/99 cents and I couldn't resist buying 2. 

Here's the hummus recipe I used. I added kale to it when I put everything in the food processor.


Kale Hummus

Ingredients:
2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained
1/3 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, halved
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pinch paprika
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
1/2 cup kale

Directions:
  1. Place the garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, kale, salt and garlic in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl.
  2. Drizzle olive oil over the garbanzo bean mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment